HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Pretty Vintage Script Cabinet

I could call this the cabinet that almost wasn't, but I'm glad I persevered and finished painting and distressing her.  I call it a her because she is definitely feminine.  I found her at a yard sale about a year ago and she spoke volumes to me.  I knew I had to reinvent her and I knew I would need my husband's help.    While I think of myself as the furniture whisperer (because I listen), my husband doesn't hear the same thing that I do.
He took an instant disliking to this little piece and felt it was total junk.  A couple of times I said fine, put it out on the curb.  Needless to say there was some disagreement over her beauty.
I don't have a before before picture when she was still in her original wood finish, but I do have a photo of her with the base coat.  I two-toned her with aqua and old white, then I added the appliques I purchased from Rita at Mammabellarte. I love these appliques and they really brought out the vintage in this piece.  I also used a gel stain to age her even more, then finished her off with Deft Satin lacquer spray.
I added script with my new French Poem stencil from Royal Design Studios.  I even put the script on the back of the piece.  I got a little obsessive.
We misplaced the original hardware in the year she was with us, or maybe she never had any to begin with, so I used simple wooden knobs.  I didn't want the hardware to compete with the gorgeous appliques.  Since the cabinet was in such rough shape, I had no choice but to shabby her way back.  I knew she wanted her years to show through anyway.  I'm pretty sure she's been around for 80 to 90 years.  It's so hard to find these fabulous vintage pieces I wanted to keep the feel of the cabinet in tact.
Here she is in the workshop waiting for her extreme makeover.  I hope she's happy with her new looks. Thanks so much for visiting us and taking a peak.
As a postscript, I am not being compensated by either Rita or Royal Design Studios.  I'm merely sharing my sources of materials should you wish to use their products to recreate something beautiful of your own.

I may be partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs          
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday


Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Common Ground
                                   
     


18 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

She's beautiful!

Donna said...

What a gorgeous transformation, Maggie! I love that pretty blue color, and the applique and script are perfect!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love it! Don't pay any attention to hubby, he does not have the gift of envisioning that you do!

Carol

Mammabellarte Rita Reade said...

She is a beauty! I am glad you kept this piece. Your work is incredible Maggie. Ciao Rita

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Oh my she is beautiful. I like the way you finished it. Great work Maggie.
Have a Happy Weekend.
Mary

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

She looks great, Maggie! Your perseverance paid off. Love the script stencil inside. I have that on my "to get" list.

Gail said...

Oh, she's beautiful Maggie!

Anne said...

Absolutely gorgeous Maggie!
xx
Anne

Anonymous said...

I love it! She is beautiful!

NanaDiana said...

Maggie- SHE IS FABULOUS!!!! Wow- it is a wonderful piece- xo Diana

Susie said...

Good that you could save this little cabinet and make it so beautiful. You husband will listen next time.xoxo,Susie

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Isn't she lovely! I'm so glad you didn't get rid of that pretty cupboard. The script stencil is a nice touch!

Unknown said...

Oh Maggie - she's just gorgeous!!!
I have a similar one - and John can't STAND it - says it looks like something his grandmother had - DUH!!! ( that would be the beauty of it John lol )
Beautiful - and I just love the french script - have to look into getting that for sure!
XOXO

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

So beautiful Maggie! You always know just what to do with these pieces! I have to look at them for sometimes years before I can make a plan!! Glad she never made it to your curb.

Bliss said...

Maggie that is fantastic! The script - the detail that takes it over the top excellent.
Bliss

Pat said...

Miss Maggie,
Amazing transformation!!!
I agree, it's a girl cabinet!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Unknown said...

She is gorgeous, I love her! I love the color, and the script!!!

miss flibbertigibbet said...

I remember seeing this and got sidetracked when I clicked over to see the stencil you bought! I forgot to come back and say how stunning this was!! Don't you love to be right? Have a wonderful vacation! I will miss you at Haven!