HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Monday, April 15, 2013

French Butler's Tray

Sorry for the glaring photos, the lighting is bad inside and out today.  At any rate, I found this portable butler's tray at the flea market last month.  I love portable items and so far they have been great sellers for me.  The cross supports were both torn but the tray and the stand were still sturdy and in good shape.

 I had my husband paint everything black and then I dug out some black and burlap upholstery webbing that I had on hand so my husband (he's so handy, but I don't want it to go to his head) cut new strips of fabric to support the tray.
 Because burlap tends to fray, he cut the webbing strips and then used epoxy glue to fold the ends over and secured the ends with clothespins until it all dried.  Then he wrapped the ends of the webbing around the tray sides twice and then secured it with tacks.  This thing is totally sturdy now and won't be coming apart any time soon.
When his job was done, I added  a design using one of my Maison de Stencils grain sack patterns and then went back in with my brush to give it a little more of a hand painted look.
Here is my tray as I found it.  Pretty sad, but I could see the potential right away.  Thanks for visiting.

I may be partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
                  
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           


13 comments:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Great save! Love the webbing idea and your beautiful stenciled tray on top.

Susie said...

Maggie, the after is so much nicer than the before. You are your husband work well together. xo,Susie

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...

Wow, you really made that Butler Tray look beautiful. Great job.
Mary

karen@somewhatquirky said...

I love those butler's tables! Great remake! I love those stencils from ??(can't remember how to spell their name and you have one of those comments that separates from the post so I can't check it). Anyway, I like the stencil. I bet I wouldn't be so far behind if I had someone do my painting for me!

Anne said...

Beautiful transformation Maggie!I too love those pieces!
xx
Anne

Gail said...

What a beautiful make-over Maggie! I have one of those butler's tray just waiting for a make-over. Thanks for the inspiration.

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

I want one of these!! Love it!You are so talented.

Donna said...

Tres chic, Maggie! You and your hubby did a beautiful job! The stencilling is perfect, what a lovely transformation:)

Irene Helms Designs said...

Absolutely lovely tray ... wonderful transformation!
Irene

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Beautiful, Maggie! Love it in black and I love your stencil, too!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Maggie, great transformation, Love my stencils you turned me on to. I have a luggage stand Ia m getting ready to do the same webbing treatment on!

Carol

Bliss said...

Hmm.... I remember picking up a similar tray at sales last year. What did I do with it? Surly it needs a makeover like this one.

Bliss

Pendra said...

You and hubby make beautiful music together...love this, it turned out GREAT!