HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Glitterfest Coffee Filter Rose

Last week I showed you Fran's beautiful coffee filter roses that I found at the Little French Flea Market.  She explained to me how she did them, so I thought I would play around with them a little this week and I came up with my own slightly different version, but it is very similar to Fran's.

 I started with white coffee filters because that's what I had on hand.  In fact, I had everything I needed to do this whole project.  I used the left over coffee my husband didn't drink and dipped the filters in it to give them a little more character.  Once dried, I folded each filter into quarters and cut a heart shape.  I used four filters gradually making each heart shape a little bit smaller.  The centers of the roses are a quarter of a filter.
 I used garden twine, but you could use wire too.  I unfolded each coffee filter heart and snipped a little bit more to accentuate the cuts so I would have more defined petals.
 Put a tiny snip in the center of each cut filter and poke the wire through the largest cut filter.  Dab some Tacky Glue, then place the next smallest filter, dab the glue, then the next smallest filter, and so on and so forth. Once you have placed all of your coffee filters (at least four of them or five if you prefer), dab some glue on one of your quarter cut filters.  Don't forget to stagger the heart shaped cuts so your petals end up mimicking a real rose.  Wrap the quarter piece around the wire that is protruding up through your filters to place the flower center.
 This next photo is the quarter piece for the flower center.  Wrap that around the wire.

I used one-inch cloth tape I found at Walmart that I found in the first aid section.  It's white and goes nicely with the coffee filters.   Once all your filters are placed where they belong, squeeze all your coffee filters up toward the center of your wire stem and press them up close to your flower center quarter filter piece you just glued around the wire.  Remember that each coffee filter got that dab of glue?  Once you squeeze it upwards, the glue takes hold.  Now cut a couple pieces of the cloth tape and wrap it around the filters and the wire stem.  Once the cloth tape is in place, fluff your petals back out. 
 Here I set the flower in a glittered silver nest.  Some of the roses got silver glitter sprinkled in their centers and some of the petals got outlined as well.  These are great for package ties or tie them on your tree stems.  You could even use them for napkin holders.  Give these a try.  They are inexpensive and easy peasy.  Have a wonderful day.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


8 comments:

Susie said...

Maggie, That is so cute and simple...wish I had seen this yesterday ;):) my g.daughters were here crafting. This is something I can do next time though. Thank you.xo, Susie

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Very cute, Maggie. They would make an adorable bouquet.

Donna said...

It's just gorgeous, Maggie! You had me at "glitterfest"!!

Anne said...

Maggie those roses are so sweet! Thank you for sharing! Love that glitter sparkle too!
xx
Anne

Junk Fairy said...

Maggie, I don't know how I found your blog! (you know just blog hopping) Anyway I'm glad I ended up here. Love all your ideas and I'm going to make some of the coffee filter roses.
HAPPY HOLLYDAYs
XO
Eloise

NanaDiana said...

Those turned out really cute, Maggie. I love it and if I have time I may try to get some made. They would be gorgeous package toppers- xo Diana

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Hi miss Maggie, Carol here with the wrinkled knees LOL! I love this, I have never tried the coffee filter rose, but you have me thinking I should save my filter everyday, I think they are beautiful!

Carol

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Maggie, Thanks so much for sharing this creative project on Simple & Sweet Fridays. I love the Glitterfest Coffee Filter Rose. So pretty!

Jody