HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Aging Glass Jars

I have been admiring all the pretty altered bottles I have seen on Pinterest and on Rosemary's blog at Villabarnes so I decided to try my hand at doing an experiment of my own.  I used plain jars that had been emptied and washed out so they were nice and clear.  I started out by spraying the inside and the outside of the jars with clear flat spray.  I used Valspar, but any matte or flat spray will work.  This dried very fast.  Next I took some gesso and mixed it with water, about 2/3 gesso to 1/3 water.  I took a sponge applicator and started smearing the jars with the gesso mixture just blotting very gently as I went along.  When this was dry, I resprayed with the clear flat. 

 If you follow my blog at all, you will know I have become somewhat addicted to the reverse mod podge method for transferring images.  The possibilities for this transfer method are endless.  It's an inexpensive method that gives a huge pay off.  My kind of project.  To see the tutorial for this transfer method click here.  I actually have to give the credit for this idea to Rosemary at Villabarnes because she is the one that wrote about doing the transfer method on glass.  I had no idea it would work on glass as well as wood.
This method of aging the glass will be blotchy.  I was going for a calcified look that old glass gets when it's been left out in the rain for years.  If you want a more uniform look, try Krylon's frosted glass spray.  It has good sticking qualities too.
 I do have some nicely shaped bottles, but first I wanted to try this method on something that was free.
 I love the results.  Some of the transfer rubbed off, but that just made the jars even older looking.
 For the Rose jar, I actually stenciled the word  rose on it.  After completing the transfer method, I resprayed with the clear spray just to seal everything in.
 Just to give it a finishing touch, I tied some pretty seam binding around the mouth of the jar and attached an old clip earring to finish it off. 
Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have found some inspiration to try your own beautiful projects.
I'll add a P.S. to this post.  I may be MIA for a few days.  I left my camera charger in Napa and I have ordered a new one.  A blogger without a camera is in sad shape so let's hope my new charger arrives before my battery dies.  Thank heaven for Ebay.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style
                                           
Thursdays        The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


16 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Maggie, they look fantastic! You gave it your own twist. Love em! Thanks for the shout out.

Susie said...

Your little jars look very nice, would make some good gifts.Smiles, Susie

Anne said...

Maggie thank you for sharing this! I want to try this too!I am always inspired by Rosemary!
xx
Anne

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Oh, the little rose bottle is sweet! It would be a perfect accent for a bathroom or bedroom.

Ann said...

These are so beautiful. Your how-to is perfect.

Donna said...

Your bottles are amazing, Maggie! I would never have thought to try the transfer method on glass. They are just gorgeous!!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

You are officially the mod podge transfer queen, this looks great!

Carol

chateau chic said...

Maggie, Your jars are beautiful! You did a great jar. Hope your charger arrives quickly.
Mary Alice

Cynthia said...

I love these jars, you did such a fantastic job. Now I want some. I will have to think about trying this technique for sure.

Cynthia

Annette T. said...

Maggie, they are so beautiful and feminine. I haven't played with this method either, but you are sure inspiring me.

Bliss said...

Those are cute Maggie. Now put a sticky note in your suitcase for next trip that says check for charger.

Bliss

Unknown said...

Très joli! You made a good work... as usual! Bisous ;)

http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Love it!!!!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Your jars look fabulous! I had not seen this method used on glass. Thanks for sharing!

annies home said...

what a wonderful job

Miss Kitty said...

These look wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing how you did them with us.
So many ways we could use this technique.