HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Monday, October 1, 2012

The French Cat

I recently purchased a book called "The French Cat" so I thought it was fitting to name this post after my book since I used my antique French invoices as a background for the Graphics Fairy Tuxedo Cat.  For this image click here
 
Here are my four finished plates.  This post took me longer to write than it did to do the actual work on the plates so if you like these, stick with me.

If you would like to use these invoices, feel free to do so.  I will include the link to the images for you on each plate.  I purchased the plates at the 99 Cent store.

 Here is the link for Construction.

First I cut out Tuxedo Cat and decoupaged him. Remember you are working on the back side of the plate. This is reverse decoupage. I copied my invoices onto 8 1/2 x 11 paper and cut a circle of my invoice image larger than the plate I was using. Place your second image's large circle cutout behind your first image and decoupage only on the center of the plate. Stick that down and press firmly over the image. Now for the sides of the plate, I cut several slits in my image going around the plate cutting only to the center of the plate. This helps to prevent bubbles and uneven decoupage.  Then I placed decoupage on each slit as I circled around the plate making sure to coat the edges so they would stick to the previously pressed down slit. Press firmly around the plate edge so you get nice contact. Now cut around the outside of the paper circle to make it even with the edge of the plate. Remember we cut the circle larger than the plate. I did three layers of decoupage letting it dry between each coat.

Click here for Edouard Rondeau.
Then here was my biggest mistake. My old invoices were very yellowed and I liked the color so I should have painted the back of the decoupaged paper with ivory, but instead I painted with black.  Anywhere I hadn't cut exactly on the edge of the plate the black showed from the front. So paint the back of your plate to match the front of the image. This will hide many imperfections if you didn't cut exactly to the outer edge of the plate.  I know this is long and drawn out, but I don't know a better way to explain this.  

Click here for Lefebure.  Pardon the glare in my photos.  It's hard to photograph inside of my house. 

By the way, Pat, one of my followers had a totally brilliant idea for saving Graphics Fairy images to my computer and I will pass it along to you as a suggestion. Whenever I want to include an image in my post for you, I like to link it directly to the Graphics Fairy's blog and not to the saved image on my computer. Many times (actually a lot) I have trouble locating the image with her search bar so Pat suggested I save the image as I normally do, but to also add the date of the post. This is making it much easier for me to locate the post on Karen's site.

Click here for Societe Generale.

Happy crafting everyone.  Let your imagination run wild today.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


20 comments:

Okio B Designs said...

Your plates are amazing! Love the text with the cat image. Love, love, love!

Jeanine

Alaina said...

I can't wait to go and get some plates and try this out. I am going to put a Halloween spin on them. Thanks for sharing the idea, graphics and how to.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

It would be fun to do set of plates like this for Halloween! You come up with the best ideas!

Anne said...

Maggie those are so cute!!
xx
Anne

Pat C. said...

Ooh, Tuxedo Cat has indeed been transformed into Le Chat Tûxédo (there isn't a French word for tuxedo... strange... but I gave him a couple of accent marks to make him feel better!)!

The plates are lovely! The French invoices are gorgeous--not only the typography, but the handwriting as well.

xoxo

P.S. Who is this Pat of whom you speak? She sounds quite clever!: P

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

These are great, Maggie! I love the tuxedo cat superimposed over the invoices like this.

Karen said...

I love these Maggie, decoupage is one of my favorite things.

Donna said...

What gorgeous plates, Maggie! I've never decoupaged a plate before, but it looks like such a fun project I just may attempt to create one!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Cute Miss Maggie, I think it looks perfect!!

Carol

Tina said...

These plates are just too cute!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Adorable plates Maggie!

Sorry I'm so behind in visits. I'm still working on my office.

Dee

Marlis said...

Maggie, great tips and great project. I would never have thought of cutting the slits. Love them all!! xo marlis

MONICA LIVAS said...

So cute!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Super cute! I've been eyeing those plates at the Dollar Tree which just such a project in mind! Thank you for sharing it with us!

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Maggie these are inspired! Really really nice. I bought some glass plates about 8 years ago to decoupage and I have yet to do it. Between your plates and the ones that Susan did over at Between Naps on the Porch, I am totally inspired. Trying to decide if I want to do Thanksgiving or Christmas...

Tea in Texas said...

You certainly caught my attention with these fabulous plates. I have thought about trying this process and your detailed information is wonderful. The tuxedo cat is so charming!

Thanks, Pam

Unknown said...

You did such a great job and i love it!! Thanks for linking and come back! The party is up!
Bisous

rkramadh said...

Great idea, thanks so much for the tut. I presume the cat is your first image, the large circle of the invoice is your second image you are referring to? I am not clear on what the third image is...please clarify if you don't mind. Thanks again.

rkramadh said...

Great idea, thanks so much for the tut. I presume the cat is your first image, the large circle of the invoice is your second image you are referring to? I am not clear on what the third image is...please clarify if you don't mind. Thanks again.

Artsnark said...

really cool - I am enjoying a stroll around your world. You have a wonderful eye & talent