HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Friday, October 5, 2012

Chambre des Fleurs

I had planned on doing another pair of menu boards this week, but it looks like it will be next week.  I got very side tracked when I looked up images of vintage Paris perfume labels.  I came across an incredible label that became the inspiration for this sign.

I wanted to share a complete photo of the actual image but for some reason it said for personal use only, not to be transmitted digitally.  I'm not sure what that means since it's already on the internet under images and my understanding is that any document or photograph predating 1920 does not come under the umbrella of copyright law.
I tried to be pretty true to the image I found.  Some of my lettering is pretty primitive, but it's supposed to be old.  Right?  I used a white that looks very vintage for the background.  It was something I had on hand and it's just plain latex paint.
I printed the image (for my personal use of course) and then enlarged it to get the spray of roses copied.  Then I took the splendid blender and transferred it onto the old cabinet door board.  Because the enlarged image was highly pixelated, it was a little blurry, but it transferred just the same.  I came back with a liner brush and accentuated the image with a little freestyle painting.  I can't draw, but I can wing it if the image is already there.
All the lettering is antique gold and burnt umber craft paint with a gray shading (mixture of black and white craft paint).
I always do a cursory sketch of the letters on paper first to make sure the words will fit and it helps me place the lettering before taking brush to board.
Here is the image after the splendid blender.  As the day wore on, I felt like the image was fading.  I'm not sure why.  The image I used on my caddy a couple of weeks ago looks as good as the day I applied it and it's sealed with clear coat.

Have a wonderful weekend and please visit again soon.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                           
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


15 comments:

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Looks wonderful Maggie! I am sure you are right...images that old, especially advertisements, are usually public domain.
I love it!

Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan said...

I think you did a great job!!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

That's lovely, Maggie! It really does look like an old sign.

karen@somewhatquirky said...

It gorgeous Maggie! you're quite the little expert at transfers!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I can just see that sign hanging over a claw foot tub! You are a sign painting machine!! Where do you get all your energy?!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

It's fabulous Maggie, maybe it was your eye sight that was going LOL! You have so inspired me to do some transfer graphics

Carol

The Polka Dot Closet said...

It's fabulous Maggie, maybe it was your eye sight that was going LOL! You have so inspired me to do some transfer graphics

Carol

Unknown said...

That's lovely!!! I love to read french on your blog ;) I was formerly following you as Sparkle and co but I had to make another blog. Have a nice week end and thank you for sharing this ;)

http://ellecrafts.blogspot.com

kim3108 said...

I just love your work! You inspire me too, after I finish a few projects I have already started I want to try making a sign! have a great weekend!

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Maggie,

Your perfume sign is stunning! I love it.

Dee

Unknown said...

WOW Great job!!

Heaven's Walk said...

Beautiful job, Maggie! Love the faded, vintage look! :)

xoxo laurie

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

Just gorgeous! You did such a beautiful job recreating that image into a sign! Thanks so much for sharing it at Knick of Time Tuesday - I'll be featuring you next week!
~Angie

......Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

i love this! thanks for such a detailed tutorial, i may actually be able to do this!

The Charm of Home said...

Beautiful! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
Sherry