HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Violin Lesson

I love old musical instruments.  I find them fascinating and I love to decorate with them.  I once did a whole Christmas tree themed around old musical instruments.  I wish I had some photos to show you, but that was long before blogging.

 This project was destined for the musical wasteland.  The strings were long gone.  The piece that holds the strings is long gone and there is a huge crack down the middle of the front.  So where do old worthless violins go when they are gone but not forgotten?  They become advertisements for violin lessons. 
 I went through an old music periodical from around 1900, and I found some old ads for violin lessons.  I used the ads for my inspiration.  I simply painted the violin with black paint and used some small scale stencils from Michael's to get my words on to the project.  Then I came back in with my fine point white paint pen and went over the letters.  They are not perfect, but I love that I saved this old instrument from the trash.  I think it makes an interesting decorating piece.  What do you think?

Thanks so much for visiting.  I do hope you find some inspiration of your own here.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


4 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh I love it! I would love to find an old violin to redo!...Great job!

CArol

Pat C. said...

What a clever idea, Maggie! It's beautiful! I think it would be a fun gift for a student (more likely a girl) of any stringed instrument to hang on a bedroom or dorm room wall!

xoxo

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very cute, Maggie! I just saw two old violins at an antique shop recently, too. My daughter played when she was in school and I thought of that when I saw them. I should have checked the price!

Lifein1000sqft said...

Great Idea! I was at the GW and I saw a broken down violin and I passed, just didn't know what to do with it. Your so clever.