HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Scarecrow and Mr. Rake

I guess you could call this a copy cat challenge or just a plain copy cat, but the inspiration for this came from a Country Living book I purchased a couple of years ago.  I had the old rake, the foliage, the drawer pull, the buttons and the birch branch so it was a no brainer to assemble it all and make myself a scarecrow.



 Oh, yes, I forgot the finial that I already had on hand to make his nose.  I threaded a fall foliage garland purchased at the local craft store and strung it through the rake thingies back and forth until he had a full head of hair leaves.  I used a hand saw to cut two slices from my thick birch branch and then glue gunned a button onto each circle to form the eyes.  Then that assembly was glue gunned to the rake.  I drilled two screws with heads on the back of the finial and slipped them through the rake and then ran wire back and forth to keep his nose on.  I repeated the same process for the drawer pull, placed the screws in the holes and ran wire back and forth from behind to keep it on.  It actually looks more like a mustache than a mouth, but that's my artistic liberty.
 I left the rake handle the full length that it was so he could stand in front of my trellis.  At one time I wired a wire coat hanger on him and dressed him with cover-alls and a plaid shirt.  He was adorable, but this year I'm keep'n it simple so I attached my pumpkin sign right below his face.  He's the official greeter as you walk up our front steps.
Thanks for taking a peak.  Happy Saturday everyone.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


10 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

He's quite the welcomer!
Brenda

Pat C. said...

Mr. Rake, the Scarecrow, is quite the dapper fellow, isn't he?! I love that he serves double duty--as a, well, scarecrow, and a pumpkin salescrow!! He really is too adorable!♥

xoxo

Ivy and Elephants said...

I just love Mr. Rake...this is so wonderful. Awesome job!

Paula

Gail said...

I'm in LOVE with Mr. Rake! He's so darn cute I'm pinning him!! Hope you have a wonderful Sunday, Gail

One More Time Events said...

This is so cute. Would love it if you would like to share it over at One More Time... http://www.onemoretimeevents.com/2012/09/share-it-one-more-time-linky-party-and.html
Pinned him.

Bliss said...

I am gonna pin this when I get to a full size computer.

Bliss

Donna said...

Love the rake .. so cute!

Junkchiccottage said...

Love this. So cute. Great job.
Kris

karen@somewhatquirky said...

Man, you're pretty good at this creativity thing! SOOOO cute!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Maggie, This is such a creative way to use an old rake. Thanks so much for sharing on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Now I know what to do with an old rake we have.

Jody