HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pretty Red Shutter

Today's post is about a simple project.  I purchased a shuttered swing door at the salvage yard.  I loved the shape of the top of it.  I added a simple applique wreath and painted the shutter with Rustoleum brush-on colonial red.  I wanted texture to the paint so when I applied my Jacobean Minwax stain it would stick and give some character to the shutter.

 I kept the stain heavy on the sides of the slats to give it an aged look.  I love this fall wreath hanging on the shutter, but it would look great with a white shabby mirror or some Christmas greenery as well.  Below is the before shutter after the applique was applied with 5-minute epoxy.

I'm partying at...


Mondays          Le Chateau des Fleurs       The Graphics Fairy    
                                      Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life   
                                     Cozy Little House Tweak it Tuesday
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants
                                     Faded Charm Cottage       Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Fishtail Cottage
                                     Rustic Restorations Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity   Rooted in Thyme
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           My 1928 Charmer Sunday's Best


7 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a charming piece! I can see where you could use that as a backdrop for any holiday.
Brenda

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Love how the red turned out, Maggie! It looks perfect for the season with that wreath. I'm sure it would look great moving into Christmas with a green wreath.

Cathy and Paul @One Creative Couple said...

The shutter looks beautiful and the fall wreath really adds to it. Great job!

Pat C. said...

It's beautiful, Maggie, and as the others suggested, it will work through Christmas, Valentine's Day, and then all the patriotic holidays, starting with Memorial Day!

And it's pretty enough that there's no reason why it couldn't be hung or propped against a wall all by itself.: )

xoxo

White Lace and Promises said...

Love it, Maggie! The wax finishes it off! Gives me an idea! Thanks.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

I love the shutter and see all of the possibilities for the seasons. I pick them up when ever I can!!

Carol

karen@somewhatquirky said...

My red loving heart is loving this shutter!