HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

French Bee Farm

This project was made with the third cabinet door I purchased with the two I used for the French Menu Boards I did a couple of weeks ago.  It started out to be another menu board, but I got a little sidetracked when I saw a "Miel" sign with a bee hive on it and used that as my inspiration.  By the way, miel means honey in French.
The only thing I would have done differently is I wish I would have done the words in a different order and showcased the name of the farm in the middle.  Other than that, I think it turned out fine.  Here is how I painted the sign.
 I started with a base coat color of Swiss Coffee.  Any brand will do.  I personally always use an exterior paint in case people want to put my signs outdoors.  I don't think chalk paint will hold up outdoors and neither will the wax.  FYI, once you use wax on a project, you cannot repaint the piece because paint won't stick to the wax.  I know Annie Sloan's representatives swear you can paint over it with their paint and I did attend their workshop, but I have my doubts. 

Now back to my project.  I adhered the wreath applique I purchased from Bella Cottage (they have a website that you can order from), and then I planned my design.  I went to Graphics Fairy and downloaded one of her beehive images and printed it in the postcard size.  Then I cut it out and merely traced around it and then filled it in with a paint pen.  I seriously cannot draw so the only thing on this sign that is free hand is that little bee.  Yes, that is a bee and not a fly!

Next I chose my text and lettered the sign in black.  I came back and did some outlining in a colored called Maple Sugar.  It's a Delta acrylic paint I have had for years.  This finished off the bottle.  I used the same color to paint in some of the ridges of the moulding on the cabinet door.  Then in between that I painted some black trim.  I didn't want to use my regular stain on this so I found some water based gel stain in the cupboard and applied that.  It gave it kind of an overall crystallized honey tone which was a good thing because this project is about bees.  You can see in the next photo the difference with and without the stain.   Either way looks good.  I just usually do this extra step to age the sign.  The final step was to spray the project with a clear flat coat to seal everything in.  Use one that is suitable for outdoors if you are making a garden sign.

   


I'm partying at...


Mondays          The House in the Roses       Le Chateau des Fleurs        The Graphics Fairy
                                      Metamorphosis Monday
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage    A Stroll Thru Life
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style         Ivy and Elephants        Faded Charm Cottage            
                                     Fine Craft Guild      
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday    Homespun Happenings
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors

Sundays           It's Overflowing

8 comments:

Tammy said...

It is a beautiful sign! I love the colors you chose too. Is that a mold or did you stencil that around the beehive? I just recently did a project and I waxed it, then realized I wanted to add more words, so I used my paint marker over the wax. It did take--I hope it stays on the cabinet :) I never tried to paint over wax before--even with my AS.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

This is beautiful, Maggie! I love it! Love the colors you used and how you put the beehive inside the wreath embellishment.

Anne said...

Maggie,
Your sign looks beautiful.
(((Hugs)))
Anne

NanaDiana said...

OMGOSH- I just LOVE it- It looks great! You are one talented chick! xo Diana

miss flibbertigibbet said...

Maggie that is simply gorgeous! Fantastic work! you are a real artist!
Blessings, Lorraine

Anonymous said...

Oh how fabulous!!! Where do you find such beautiful wood ornaments?

Thanks for sharing,
Jamie W.

Heaven's Walk said...

LUV this, Maggie! GREAT job! Will you share the website link where you got the embellishment? :)

xoxo laurie

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Beautiful sign! Like everyone else, I love the wood embellishment. Been looking for some myself to use.