HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Monday, April 23, 2012

Old Crate Labels

The inspiration for this project came from a post I saw by Decorating Diaries a couple of weeks ago.  I fell in love with her vintage style labels and she did an excellent tutorial.  Mine did not come out as well as hers (I'm pretty sure it was me and not her instructions) so I used a little bit different method.  I did use some of her brilliant ideas though.
I used two different graphics and two different caddies.  This first one is a Graphics Fairy image.  It's her Holland Bulbs image.  I printed it out in the sepia tone and Xeroxed it onto a used Trader Joe's bag that was cut to 8 1/2 x 11.  The crinkles in the bag added to the old label look.
After copying my image on to the paper bag, I cut out the label image.  BTY, when I made my copy, I did use the color setting.  I wanted to keep everything in the brown family.  I decoupaged the back of the label only and stuck it onto my old caddy.  Wanting to keep everything looking aged, I did not paint, clean, wax or otherwise do anything to these caddies.  This is how I found them.
 The next image is one of mine and the only thing I would change about this is I would darken my copy so I get a darker image.  It faded a little more when I applied the water step.  So a darker image would have worked a little better.
Here is another pic of the Henry Tirrill image showing the brown paper bag images.  The copy on the right is one I did a few weeks ago with one of my French typography invoices.  I must come up with a project for that.  I love the old typography.
So after I applied the label with the decoupage, I took my crate down to the sink.  I sprinkled some instant coffee on my image where I wanted it to look stained.  To do this I used an ice tea spoon.  It applied just the right amount.  I then boiled some water in my tea kettle.  Using the same ice tea spoon, I dipped it in my boiling water and sprinkled it on my coffee grounds.  I got the instant coffee idea from the above mentioned blogger (totally brilliant).  I just couldn't get the right look that I wanted using her method.  The ice tea spoon delivered just the right amount of everything I wanted.
 Now I didn't wait very long.  I got my desired result within about 15 to 20 seconds.  Remember my water was sparse and was only applied to the coffee grounds.  I took a paper towel and just blotted up the water.  Now I had my desired stains.  Next I took the spoon and sprinkled the hot water over the rest of the image and then blotted and wiped it down with a clean paper towel.  This crinkled the paper label and made it look water damaged.  Then in the corners where it wasn't stuck all the way down, I tore the paper away to make it look like a torn label.  Voila, it's done.  Fill your crate or container with goodies and you are good to go. 

Below are my copied images on the paper bags.
This is what my Henry Tirrill caddy looked like before the label was applied.  I like it much better now, don't you?   Thanks for staying with me on this.  I know it was a long post, but I really love these labels and plan to do many more caddies and crates in the future. 
Pin It

I'm partying at...


Mondays          The House in the Roses       Debbie Doos         The Graphics Fairy
Tuesdays          Knick of Time       Tutus and Tea Parties       Coastal Charm  
                                      Boogie Board Cottage   
Wednesdays     Savvy Southern Style           Primp         Faded Charm Cottage            
                                     Fine Craft Guild     It's So Very Cheri Bloghop     Ivy and Elephants
Thursdays        Embracing Change     The Shabby Creek Cottage    No Minimalist Here 
                                     Tablescape Thursday
Fridays            French Country Cottage       My Romantic Home        Miss Mustard Seed
                                    At the Picket Fence     Potpourri Friday     Common Ground
                                    The Charm of Home    Decorating Insanity
Saturdays        Funky Junk Interiors



14 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Wow-What an amazing transformation. You would never know it was the same piece. LOVE the makeover-it looks so much better- xo Diana

Patricia said...

It looks very vintage. I really love this old paper, I collect pieces myself but never know what to do with it. Shall have a go.

The Polka Dot Closet said...

Oh it looks wonderful, I love the graphics. I never thought to throw some coffee grounds (I think they might work too) I love those caddies!

Carol

Bliss said...

I like the Henry T. one and it's gonna sound bad, but I like your balls.

~Bliss~

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Wonderful! Love both graphics and both caddies!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

What a great idea. Love the look and you pulled it off with finesse! The photos are great!

Barbara Jean said...

looks great Maggie.
thanks for all the tips

blessings
barb

Miss Gracie's House said...

LOVE it! I just read about the instant tea method yesterday and had to try it out for myself..like you, I am going to have to experiment to get the look...thanks for the tips!
Rene'

Dee ⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️⚜️ said...

Hi Maggie,

Your caddies are beautiful. I use coffee and tea to age things.

Dee

Shannon said...

GORGEOUS!!!!!
Shannon
(www.akadesign.ca)

Fishtail Cottage said...

love what you've done w/the graphics on these containers!!! lovely! xoxo, tracie
ps - popping over from Common Ground!

Unknown said...

Love, love it.
I love what you have put into the boxes as well.
Thanks for sharing.
Michele

Mel said...

I love the graphics you used on the caddies. They look great! I always love visiting you.

The Charm of Home said...

Wonderful! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry