HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Vintage French Buffet

I so wish I had taken before pictures of this beauty.  I bought her at a movie prop sale and she hailed from the West Wing television show.  She was in dark wood.  In the condition she was in I'm not sure if she ever appeared on television, but she must have been part of their prop collection.  Her top was badly gouged and could not be refinished without paint because of all the patching my husband had to do.  He also had to reset one of the legs to make it sturdy.  This buffet was massive measuring in at about 7 feet long.  Definitely an estate piece.  Steve gave her a good sanding and painted the top with Slate Grey.  I wanted her to have the look of a stone top.  The sides and front were painted with Heirloom White by American Accents.  The old hardware was cleaned up and put back on.  Then the top received a smooth as silk French polish.  She is just as grand as ever in her newly refined state.
 My husband fell in love with the French polished look after a visit to Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic shop.  It is incredibly smooth to the touch.  Just like the granite top I tried to imitate.
 Her hardware was magnificent.  A project of this size is not an easy one, but she was so worth it.

2 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

Hi Maggie! Welcome to blogging. This sure is a gorgeous piece. I would have loved to see the before too, but the after is amazing! Would love to have you join in on my newbie party going on now. I normally host on Monday but had to have a jump start today.

Highpoint Circle said...

Okay, now I want to know all about your shop too. I love this sideboard.