HomeTutorialsHand PaintedTablescapes

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

1940's Buffet Gets a New Look

This is the final product of a very cute 1940's maple-like buffet/hutch that I re-did in red and white.  To see the evolution of this project check out the photos below.

Start of Project
As you can see, this piece was very dated although it was in pretty good shape.  I liked the bones of the piece and thought it deserved a makeover.
 My husband painted the whole thing in heirloom white.  I like to use the American Accent paints by Rustoleum.  The finish is a slight satin look and it is indoor and outdoor suitable  So I paint a lot of my signs and vintage boxes with this paint.  It is also available in brush-on or spray.  However, I think they have renamed the spray cans 3 in 1 instead of American Accent.
Then he painted the doors, drawers and sides with colonial red, also an American Accent paint.  When the paint was dry (at least 24 hours) I brushed on a coat of Minwax Jacobean stain and rubbed it back with a cloth.  This is what you see here that is smeared on the sides.  If your stain is too dark after you blend it in, you can wipe it back even more with mineral spirits.  Leave it a little darker in the corners and in the crevices so that it gives it an aged vintage look.  When you are happy with the final look, you can seal it with a clear coat.  I like Deft Lacquer in the satin finish.  It is easy to wipe clean and seals nicely.  Also Deft has a nice feel to the touch, but it is not shiny or glossy.  The finish is almost matte.
I re-installed the final hardware and this is the end result.  This is a great farm house look and could go just about anywhere.  It is now in my space at Aubergine Emporium in Simi Valley, California.
Miss Mustard Seed's Creative Blog

2 comments:

WhyCuzICan said...

Love the red you chose for this piece too-- I love the true shape of the buffet and the red you added was surely the icing on the cake :D


Thanks for sharing :)
Visiting from Miss Mustard Seed's linky party,
Smiles,
Suzanne at WhyCuzICan

Mary Mollica, Owner & Artist of The Decorative Paintbrush said...

Hi Maggie! Mary, from The Decorative Paintbrush here, visiting from Miss Mustard Seed! I'm a "treasure hunter" too! And I'm so jealous of this piece you found! How great! Love the crispness of the red & white-great combo!